International Law and Religion Moot Court - Brazil 2020
[EVENT SUSPENDED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE DUE COVID-19]
The International Law and Religion Moot Court is a competition organized by the Brazilian Center of Studies in Law and Religion that will take place in Uberlandia, Brazil, between 16 and 18 of June 2020. The Competition is designed to contribute to the training of law students in subjects related to International Human Rights Law as well as Law and Religion.
The hypothetical case discussed on the Moot Court will be “N.E. v Republic of Seculana of the Amerigos” (https://www.direitoereligiao.org/moot/2020/Case). Teams are welcome to debate the relation between human rights, religion and human dignity, including the analysis of legal cases and theoretical approaches.
Law students enrolled in Law Schools around the World are eligible to participate.
Participation and preliminary documents submission:
- The deadline for team registration is 25 March 2020.
- Those who are interested in participating are encouraged to send by e-mail an expression of interest to email@example.com as soon as possible.
- The registration form is available at: https://www.direitoereligiao.org/moot/2020/Registration.
- After the completion of the registration form, each team is required to send a recommendation letter by a professor who currently teaches at the same institution of the team members and a provisional summary of the argument for each of the sides of the case. The letter of recommendation and the provisional summary of the arguments should not be longer than two pages each, and must be sent until March 28. [Content Specifications: i. Font and Size (General) - Times New Roman, 12 pts; ii. Line Spacing (General) - 1.5 lines; iii. Font and Size (Footnotes) - Times New Roman, 10 pts; iv. Line Spacing (Footnotes) - Single line].
- A letter of acceptance will be sent by e-mail to the qualified teams, on March 31.
- The registration fee for each participant of qualified teams is US$120.00 (One hundred and twenty US Dollars), which includes the activities of the competition, two lunches, three dinners, and coffee breaks during the competition. The fee does NOT include other expenses, such as transportation and accommodation. The fee should be paied before April 10, 2020. Information about the payment method for the registration fee will be sent to the qualified teams by email.
- The Committee will designate a team number for each team after the acceptance of their registration. The teams will identify their briefs by that number on the right corner of it.
- Each team should submit one brief for each of the sides of the case.
- Each team must submit one electronic copy of the brief in PDF format to the Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The submission deadline for the briefs is May 08.
For more information about the competition (registration, briefs, rounds, and others), please visit the following pages:
Universidade Federal de Uberlândia
Av. João Naves de Ávila 2121
Uberlândia, Minas Gerais
The Timeline of the competition is:
- January 02, 2020 - Release of hypothetical case ad Release of the Rules of the Competition.
- February 01, 2020 - Registration opens.
- March 03, 2020 - Deadline for the request for clarification of facts.
- March 10, 2020 - Response to requests for clarification of facts.
- March 25, 2020 - End of registration.
- March 28, 2020 - Deadline for the submission of the provisional summary of the argument for each side of the case and recommendation letter.
- March 31, 2020 - Announcement of qualified teams.
- April 10, 2020 - Deadline for payment of registration fees by the members of qualified teams.
- May 08, 2020 - Deadline for the submission of the brief.
- June 16-18, 2020 - Competition in Brazil.
Information about the Brazilian Center of Studies in Law and Religion can be found at:
Partners and Affiliations:
- United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights - OHCHR
- United Nations Academic Impact Program - UNAI
- International Consortium for Law and Religion Studies - ICLARS
- Latin American Consortium for Religious Freedom - CLLR
- International Center for Law and Religion Studies - ICLRS (USA)
- Centro Derecho y Religión (Chile)